Infusion port system design:
1. Silicone membrane
2. Outside case
3. Titanium chamber
6. Port cannula
Medications are injected into the patient’s body with a special needle through the skin and silicone membrane directly into the port chamber, and then through the catheter enter the circulatory system. Pain or discomfort during the injection does not occur.
The distal end of the catheter is located depending on the selected access in the vessel or atrium (for example, with venous access — in the superior vena cava, directly above the right atrium). The proximal end of the catheter is attached to a titanium chamber with a cannula. The titanium chamber is sealed in a special housing made of biocompatible inert materials (special epoxy resin or plastic — polysulfone). This coating facilitates implantation of the port under the skin and provides patient comfort. The central part of the chamber consists of a very dense silicone membrane. The connection of the outlet cannula of the port and the catheter is fixed with a special anchor sleeve. The infusion of drugs is carried out using special Huber-type needles, which, by puncturing the silicone membrane of the port, allow the infusion solution to be injected into the reservoir without damaging the silicone membrane. Further, the drug enters the blood flow or atrium through the catheter (depending on the type of port system and the location of the catheter).
Main port system advantages:
- The port system is located completely under the skin, providing a cosmetic effect, reducing the risk of infection;
- Preservation of veins for their subsequent use;
- Fewer complications compared to external catheters;
- A large number of infusions through single access, without any damage to the veins;
- Infusions, blood sampling, blood transfusion, parenteral nutrition — everything is done through a single access;
- Significantly reduces the risk of developing phlebitis against the background of constant intravenous interventions during special treatment;
- The port system can be used for a long time (up to 5 years) without the need to reinstall and can be quickly removed if necessary;
- Provides comfort in the patient’s daily life (intense activity, showering, swimming pool);
- It makes it possible to obtain instant venous access in case of emergency administration of drugs to save the patient’s life.
- Bard Implantable Port Systems
- Over 100 port system configurations for a wide variety of clinical situations:
- Design variety
- Three types of catheters: Groshong®, Silicone Hickman® and Polyurethane
- Wide range of single and double lumen catheters 6.0 – 12.0 Fr
- Sets with pre-installed and separate catheter
- 3 types of sets: Basic, Intermediate and MicroIntroducer*
Implantable Bard Port, single lumen, MRI compatible, made of plastic, single silicone membrane, with biocompatible silicone base
Implantable X-Port, single-chamber, plastic, has no metal, incl. titanium, inclusions; with one silicone membrane, has a pointed base
Implantable port Slim Port is a titanium flat single-chamber port, triangular shape, with one silicone membrane.